Friday, November 2, 2007

La Poblanita on Dia De Los Muertos

1617-1623 E. Lake St
MInneapolis, MN 55407
specialty: anything made with corn
price: $3-10

It was on Dia De Los Muertos that we ventured into La Poblanita for the first time. It was a Thursday and the crowd was thin, only a few locals were seated in the large two room dining space. Immediately we noticed a large screen -projector television in one of the dining spaces playing Mexican videos. The sound from the TV was rather loud considering there were only a few people in the space.

We sat down in the room without the TV projector and ordered three Dos Eqius. La Poblanita specializes in anything handmade with corn so I thought obviously, I would order a combination with whatever could be made by hand: tortillas, taco shells, tlacoyos,huaraches, sopes, gortidas, and chalupas. My platter was composed of tlacoyoa huaraches, sope, a taco and beans and rice. A true feast!

The ingredients were fresh and the homemade quality of the corn delicacies were evident. This was the first time I had ever tried a sope and I was sold. The texture was just right, similar to a tortilla but thicker and chewy. The toppings: beans, lettuce, cheese avocado and green chili salsa complimented the rich corn taste.

Before I skip ahead to the actual meal (OK, I did) something should be said about the chips and
salsa because they were notable. For one, the chips were amazing, again, handmade corn delicacies and the salsa was interesting -like nothing I had tired before. What made it interesting is the creaminess of both the red and green salsas. The green was most certainly whipped with avocados and the red with some sort of creamy goodness -e.g. cheese or heavy cream. Both were defiantly spicy, which I appreciate. There was no "dumbing down" for those Minnesota whiteys who don't like anything "too spicy don't cha know" and prefer Pepitos to anything on Lake Street because it is "soooo good."

La Poblanitas is the real deal as far as I can tell. They use quality ingredients and good cooks who know what they are doing. I did visit it a second time and all I have to say for that is -consistency. Please also note that there is a meat market and mercado attached to it. Buena Fiesta!

chips and salsa: 5
quality of ingredients: 5
overall rating: 4.5


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog. Helped me determine where a group of friends and i should go for the real stuff. I just watched Julie and Julia and have a new-found appreciation for food blogging.